The only way is up: getting good at business by being bad
The reasons anyone starts a business can be complex. But, overwhelmingly, one of the biggest factors is passion. When you’re passionate about something, turning it into a business isn’t necessarily easy, but it’s definitely easier. You have the knowledge and drive to push you through the tough times that come with being a business owner.
However, running a successful business relies on more than the passion for what you do. You need to be creative, business savvy, understand markets, and know which people belong in your team. There are thousands of factors which can influence your success and unfortunately, you won’t be good at them all.
A growth mindset
Your first few months – or even the first few years – might be riddled with statements like, “I’m terrible at this”, or “I’m making a real mess of this”, and that’s normal. The most important thing to remember is you can always improve.
If you think when you’re bad at something you’ll be bad at it forever, you won’t last long in business. Having a growth mindset means you believe you and your team can get better, become more creative, more knowledgeable, and more productive, and you take active steps towards doing so.
Deal with it
When we discover we aren’t very good at something as adults, we usually have one of three responses:
- Blame other people or the thing itself.
- Avoid it.
- Beat ourselves up for not being good at it automatically.
None of these approaches are useful in helping us get better at this vital skill. Instead, they hold us back and we may never improve. Better strategies include:
- Accept the fact you’re not good and manage the way you speak to yourself. Don’t ask yourself things like, “What’s wrong with me” or say “I should be better at this”. Instead, try to monitor this negativity and say, “If I’m this bad, I can only get better”.
- Have confidence in your ability to learn. You might not be good at this task, but you’re intelligent and capable of learning as you’ve shown throughout your whole life. Now isn’t any different.
- Bridge from what you know already. Great and fast learners understand how to use their experience and skills to make them better at new ones.
People learn best from mistakes. While you try your best to avoid them in business, they’re not only inevitable, but they’re helpful in ensuring the future of your business lies in the most capable hands: yours.
Big Hand offers support to business owners who are struggling to navigate the tumultuous waters of business. We can take care of your accounting needs so you have one less thing to worry about. We work with you to understand your business, your needs, and where to go from here so you can live the life you dreamed of when you started. For more information, get in touch on 0161 327 2911.