What is the Kickstart Scheme?
Key detail: you need to be offering a minimum of 30 placements
If you do not have the option to take on this many placements, then you will need to partner with another company/companies to reach this number.
What are the criteria:
- Placement duration = 6 months
- Minimum of 25 hours work a week
- The employee must be paid a minimum of the National Minimum Wage for their age category.
- Must be a young person on Universal Credit (at risk of long-term unemployment)
- The job role must not require extensive training before the role can be carried out
- The job placements should support the participants to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing the scheme.
What funding is received?
Funding will be for 100% of the National Minimum Wage for 25 hours. The employers National Insurance and Pension contributions will be covered through this. Initially, an additional £1,500 per placement is available to cover set up costs, including any training and support that may be required.
A further £300 is available to the company that is applying for the grant on behalf of a group of companies, to cover administrative costs.
- Any organisation of any size can apply
- Must be a NEW job
- Must not replace an existing or planned vacancy
- Existing employees/ contractors must not lose work as a result
Kickstart Scheme Application Process
The application should include the below details how you will:
- Help the participants develop their skills
- Support them with CV and interview preparations
- Help them set goals
- Offer careers advice
- Help them look for long term work
- Develop their basic skills e.g. time keeping, attendance and teamwork.
For those creating more than 30 Placements, you can apply HERE.
For those creating less than 30 placements, you can not apply directly. You may partner with other companies, including;
- similar employers
- local authorities
- trade bodies
- registered charities
Finally, when a job placement is created, it can be taken up by a second person, once the first successful applicant has completed their 6-month term.
At Big Hand, we offer our business expertise to those who need it. From accounting queries to doing tax the right way, we can handle all of your requests. To find out more – or simply just pick our brains – get in touch on 0161 327 2911.